String Along

Thursday 2 December 2010

Ancillary Reviews ~ Research

Empire Reviews

Empire Magazine is a media magazine that reviews and presents articles about film, games, music, dvds etc.





From looking at Empires review pages, I've analysed a house style and layout which I can recreate for my own film reviews appearance in Empire magazine.

The set and layout involves the 'main feature' which is usually a blockbuster status film, with 3 or 4 smaller film reviews below. With an image for each for easy relation for readers.
The review itself is in-depth, referring to common film knowledge and lingo, while making comparisons to similar films or stories. The language is clearly targeted at film enthusiasts and those with interest in the industry, which is what I'll aim to do in my own review, perhaps by using film terms and expressing an understanding myself through the review.


This type of reviewing style I feel suits our film better, with it being a more visual and representing independent film. Empire review these based on themes, most reviews with the main feature at the top, and the others below are linked by the same or similar genres and themes.

No comments:

Post a Comment