String Along

Tuesday 23 November 2010

Ancillary Poster Research

For our first Ancillary task we're creating 3 posters as part of our films campaign. Researching for poster art, I'm gathering ideas of how i can present my posters, and the conventions of different poster types.

My first look into poster styles is based on a vintage look, i felt for a silent film perhaps a more classic style can act as a homage to early cinema.I've looked at mostly drama or book based films, with some more abstract and creative film genres. This way i can experiment with showing the two sides of my film.




Clockwork Orange is a classic film, with the wacky and disturbing world in it. This poster uses a very creative way of presenting the themes of 'abstract'. It has a clean, white backdrop, with the main image drawing all the attention, the font and arrangement are both very iconic, looking at this example, i can pay close attention to my own use of arrangement to make my poster image unforgettable.





This poster, of a foreign film 'vaduva neagra' has a very stand out design. The image of the lips with the spider legs suggest a woman who is not all she seems to be, an idea that can be used in poster. Its an interesting way of depicting a drama genre with possible thriller. These two posters however more aimed at a film enthusiast audience as they focus more on the art than advertising the film. I would like to include one poster with a more vintage, artist style in the campaign, to be aimed at a film enthusiast audience.




Cat on the tin roof, another vintage film, does well to establish the main character, with hints at the story. One of my main objectives is to portray the power of the woman (Delilah) in the campaign, which we see used in this poster, with Elizabeth Taylor's character seen as a powerful, sensual woman. I've also noticed a pattern or convention in vintage posters based on drama and romance genre's. The font is usually bold, with a red and black outline style. This design would also easily suit my film, and i may use it.






The Great Gatsby! one of my favourite novels and film adaptations.Once again a film poster which suggests drama and romantic themes in the story. The use of the couple in a dramatic pose hint at the scandal to come. This also uses the red and black font as with Cat on the tin roof, and this poster is my favourite out of my research, its clear to the genre, but also leaves mystery into the story.



The details of director, production company etc. are in a subtle arrangement, so the main focus is on the images, but its still included. This is something i would like to re create in my poster. Also despite being a vintage poster, this is open to and will easily attract a female target audience because of the strong themes. This helps me in developing a poster which will both appeal to film enthusiasts and young women, who are most likely to enjoy our film.




For a more comtempary poster i've researched into 500 Days Of Summer, a film that has been a big inspiration to our film, and has had great sucess at both film festivals and in the cinema.This poster focuses on summer, just how i want to focus on Delilah and uses a strong poster layout for the target audience. This is a good reference for me when doing a poster for cinemas and magazines.

No comments:

Post a Comment